Wednesday, December 06, 2006

office christmas party

Tonight I went to my first grown-up office Christmas party, and it was another fun and slightly bizarre experience, and not nearly as "grown-up" as I thought it would be.
The party took place in the basement carpark of our main office building. I arrived with a few girls I work with, and we were immediately transported back to your early teenage years. The basement was decorated with twinkle lights, disco balls and butcher paper Christmas trees, with a DJ in the corner playing very loud 90s dance music. All the drinks were in one corner and several tables were scattered on the other side, already filled with groups of people, chatting with each other, just daring anyone else to try and join their clique.
The four of us stood in a cluster with our drinks, trying to avoid eye contact with the IT guys we talk to on the phone every day when we have computer problems, and trying to make eye contact with the caterers carrying huge platters of finger foods.
At one point a man the age of my parents came up to me and started chatting, saying he was glad to see someone he knew. When he asked me where my team was, I answered that they were all up in the office still, finishing a business case due tomorrow. I didn't think I'd ever hear myself saying phrases like that.
After about 45 minutes, some older women began dancing in the center of the carpark. Some were wearing reindeer headbands, and some were wearing cowgirl outfits - Kiwis seem to have an interesting idea of what "festive dress" means.
Finally, the director-general made an "Merry Christmas" announcement and opened the buffet for dinner. We all clamored to be at the front of the queue for chicken curry and potatoes. After making awkward small talk with the adults at our table, my friends and I quickly made an exit, and just in time - more women in cowgirl outfits were headed to the dance floor to try out their line dancing skills.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kiwi Cowgirls... That just doesn't seem right...

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you didn't stay to dance...I guess I didn't raise you right after all.