Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Blanket Man

A homeless man lives on Courtenay Place in Wellington. He's called the "Blanket Man" because he doesn't seem to have any clothes; he always just sits on the sidewalk wrapped in a big wool blanket. He usually talks or sings to himself or talks to other homeless guys. Everyone in Wellington seems to know the "Blanket Man;" he's a local icon.
Anyway, as I walked to church the other night, I passed by him as a woman jumped out of her car with a pile of clothes in her arms.
"I've had a terrible day," she said. "I found out my boyfriend has been cheating on me and slept with another girl in my car!"
Blanket Man just sat there and nodded.
"I was going to throw all the loser's clothes away," the woman said. "But then I thought I should give them to you instead!"
As I kept walking, I saw her hand the pile of clothes and shoes to Blanket Man and the other men sitting with him.
Well, that's nice I thought. She turned a bad situation into a charitable gesture at least.
On my way home, I was curious to see if Blanket Man had put on any of the clothes. But as I neared his usual place on the sidewalk, I noticed a pair of shoes in a doorway, and a pair of pants and a sweater in the next. In the next doorway sat Blanket Man, still wrapped in his wool blanket, with several clothing items scattered around him.
I guess Blanket Man knows he just wouldn't be the same local icon if he actually had clothes under his blanket.

No comments: